Sally: Could you come over?
Harry: What's the matter?
Sally: He's getting married.
Harry: Who?
Sally: Joe.
Harry: I'll be right there.
(Sally opens the door for Harry, she is covered in tears.)
Sally: Hi.
Harry: Are you alright?
Sally: Come on in.
(Harry closes the door behind him.)
Sally: I'm sorry to call you so late.
Harry: It's alright.
Sally: I need a Kleenex.
Harry: OK.
Sally: OK?
(They walk into Sally's bedroom.)
Sally: He just called me up 'wanted to see how you were', fine. 'How are you?', fine. His secretary's on vacation, everything's all backed up and he's got a big case to do, blah blah blah. And I'm sitting on the phone I'm thinking, I'm over him, I really am over him. I can't believe that I'd ever be remotely interested in any of that.
And then he said I have some news. She works in his office, she's a paralegal, her name is Kimberley. (Sob, Sob.)
He just met her. She's suppose to be his transitional person, she's not suppose to be the one. All this time I've been saying that he didn't want to get married, but the truth is, he didn't want to marry me. He didn't love me.
Harry: If you could take him back right now, would you?
Sally: No, but why didn't he want to marry me? What's the matter with me?
Harry: Aw, nothing.
Sally: I'm difficult.
Harry: You're challenging.
Sally: I'm too structured, I'm completely closed off.
Harry: But in a good way.
Sally: No, no, no I drove him away, and I'm going to be forty.
Harry: When?
Sally: Someday.
***
I hate weddings and I love weddings. I hate family affairs and I love family affairs. I hate meeting new people and I love meeting new friends.
Last night I went to work trying to psych myself for the possibly long night ahead. I tried to put on my best smile and walked my most spring-y strut. That was too much I guess because Myleen saw me and gushed, "You're so pretty talaga. Ang ganda mong bata. Gosh! Ang ganda mo! May boyfriend ka?"
She should've have stopped on the first line and I would've been able to keep the smile posted a bit longer.
"Nope."
"Dating?"
"Nope."
"Gusto mo hanapan kita? Sayang ang ganda mo. Gusto mo?"
Not wanting to offend the head of the account I'm handling all I was able to say was, "Sige, basta na screen mo na ok sa akin."
It's bad enough you feel like no one really likes you. Things just turns a lot worse when you realize that there are guys out there who likes me...but...
Then you'd go back to the men you did like. And I ask the same question that Sally asked, "No, but why didn't he want to marry me? What's the matter with me?"
Maybe, I too, am horrible. Or maybe...
4 comments:
That's a very difficult question to answer. It might keep you up all night if you keep thinking about it.
is it? it's killing me, really.
just a few days back, i learned she's engaged to the guy she chose over me & they're getting married soon. before i could even ask her, she said, "you're a great guy. i wish you find your happiness soon." well she even said that she's hoping for my best interests. good thing we ended as friends. she said i should'nt feel bad. it's just that we're too different & our situation is quite complicated. oh, well, it sure is. but we're good friends now. i realized i miss her thou. and it was just so sweet of her to say that she still wants to be there for me but she can only do so much.
to answer the question, there's nothing wrong with me, or with you,or with anyone.. maybe it's just not meant to be afterall.
oh...well, good thing you don't feel devastated or anything like that. i mean, that'll be just plain shitty.
and i know nothing's wrong with any of us. it's just meant to be that way. sometimes you just can't let your ego down.
Post a Comment