I don't pretend I'm a great provider when I know my family is still lacking a lot of things, I think though that I'm making a good enough habit of trying my best. Sometimes though, as the song goes, my best just ain't good enough.
Yes, I'm working in a call center and yes I'm quite fortunate in that case. Being an undergrad and having no special training under my belt I was still able to get a higher than usual salary. The moment I started to work over 4 years ago I committed myself to helping my sister get through college. But when at the beginning my mom expressed that she can do it and my sister can enter the University of her choice, I stood watching as they buried themselves in utang. Yes, FEU is much too expensive for my jobless parents, what the hell were they thinking?!
Over 2 years ago I gave my sister an ultimatum. Transfer to UP where I can afford your tuition or stop your studies. She followed my request, though she's still mug about it til now. To this day she'd refer to UP as my school. She'd never say, "Punta ako ng school." rather she's more likely to claim, "punta ako sa school mo e." I turned a deaf ear. I don't care if her words are filled with resentment, I'm sending her to school and she has to take into consideration that I'm the only one in the family with an income and that income comes at P7,000 per payday. Not much for a family of 5.
My favorite story about my sister was probably her fate last year. She had 5 subjects. One prof threatened to flunk her if she doesn't get a copy of this book. I told her at that time that I was out of cash. She bawled for days, but I never moved. I told her maybe she could start looking for a part-time job since I can't always be ready with money when the need arise. My dad started yelling at me at that. He told me to stop bugging my sister because I'm the one "with money." What?! Anyways, I ended up giving her the P700 though I explained to her she could always scour the various libs at UP (heck, it's for English 10, would that be so hard to find? it's not even limited ed) or just borrow from her classmates and have it photocopied at SC. Both ideas she rejected with tons of really irritating excuses. She ended up dropping that subject anyways, and I wanted to wring her neck for that. What's worse was when she told me that she has INC on 2 other subjects. Great! 5 subjects, 1 dropped, 2 INC and 2 passing. What kind of grade is that?
I forced myself to forgive her after that and still gave her tuition for the following school year. Now my mom is telling me she would ask both my brother and sister to stop college. I was astounded. What will happen to us? A family of undergrads, with jobless parents and irresponsible siblings...Ugh~! If this is karma I could've been one of Hitler's minions.
Last night I caught both of them in my room. I asked them if they know that our mom's planning on making them stop and was actually hoping they'd go get a job. They stared at me. Yes, that's all they did. Stare.
Now tell me, ain't I in big trouble?
Yes, I'm working in a call center and yes I'm quite fortunate in that case. Being an undergrad and having no special training under my belt I was still able to get a higher than usual salary. The moment I started to work over 4 years ago I committed myself to helping my sister get through college. But when at the beginning my mom expressed that she can do it and my sister can enter the University of her choice, I stood watching as they buried themselves in utang. Yes, FEU is much too expensive for my jobless parents, what the hell were they thinking?!
Over 2 years ago I gave my sister an ultimatum. Transfer to UP where I can afford your tuition or stop your studies. She followed my request, though she's still mug about it til now. To this day she'd refer to UP as my school. She'd never say, "Punta ako ng school." rather she's more likely to claim, "punta ako sa school mo e." I turned a deaf ear. I don't care if her words are filled with resentment, I'm sending her to school and she has to take into consideration that I'm the only one in the family with an income and that income comes at P7,000 per payday. Not much for a family of 5.
My favorite story about my sister was probably her fate last year. She had 5 subjects. One prof threatened to flunk her if she doesn't get a copy of this book. I told her at that time that I was out of cash. She bawled for days, but I never moved. I told her maybe she could start looking for a part-time job since I can't always be ready with money when the need arise. My dad started yelling at me at that. He told me to stop bugging my sister because I'm the one "with money." What?! Anyways, I ended up giving her the P700 though I explained to her she could always scour the various libs at UP (heck, it's for English 10, would that be so hard to find? it's not even limited ed) or just borrow from her classmates and have it photocopied at SC. Both ideas she rejected with tons of really irritating excuses. She ended up dropping that subject anyways, and I wanted to wring her neck for that. What's worse was when she told me that she has INC on 2 other subjects. Great! 5 subjects, 1 dropped, 2 INC and 2 passing. What kind of grade is that?
I forced myself to forgive her after that and still gave her tuition for the following school year. Now my mom is telling me she would ask both my brother and sister to stop college. I was astounded. What will happen to us? A family of undergrads, with jobless parents and irresponsible siblings...Ugh~! If this is karma I could've been one of Hitler's minions.
Last night I caught both of them in my room. I asked them if they know that our mom's planning on making them stop and was actually hoping they'd go get a job. They stared at me. Yes, that's all they did. Stare.
Now tell me, ain't I in big trouble?
4 comments:
"No where to go but up." I hope this proves true to you and your family. God bless.
Wow, your family is VERY LUCKY to have you as a sister and daughter!
You sort of remind me of my sister. She's supported me throughout my life. I don't know where I'd be without her. However, unlike your... umm, sister, I SHOW my appreciation and reciprocate in kind.
I'm sure your sister appreciates it, but umm, someone should remind her not to take the help of others for granted. :)
i hope so hermie, i really hope so.
and fruity, i guess your sister is also glad you're there. sometimes all i want is to hear a thank you...then again, that could be asking too much.
Now I understand why you became an insomniac.
Post a Comment