Monday, October 02, 2006

Appearance & Beauty

I chanced upon this question on one of the sites that I checked recently (due to lack of things to do) and I it got me thinking...Does appearance matter? And everyone said it doesn't because what's important is skin deep. That's what everyone answered, everyone that is except me.

Appearance is important. It's what you give the world. It's the you that you project for everyone to see. It's your physical representation to the rest of humanity and your projection into reality. Yes, of course, appearance is important.

It would have been a different thing if I was asked, is beauty important. I would still say it is important but not as much as appearance. You could always try to appear better but you could never be more beautiful than what you are, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder yet appearance is something more oblique. You can choose to look serene or unsettled, you can look humbled or mighty but with beauty, the scale is quite different.

Why did I say that beauty is important? Because whether we admit it or not, being beautiful has it's advantages. It is important just as having colorful feathers are important to peacocks and montrous horns are important to deers...Being beautiful can be quantified in many different things in so many ways. That some tribe in Asia thinks having long necks in women are quite desirable and that Chinese women with smaller feet are held as trophies. Beauty helps you get noticed, be it at a social gathering, a job interview, a pageant...Beauty is important.

How important is important then? Not as important as what's inside.

You see, when people are asked if appearance is important and they answer that what's important is skin deep then they're lying because they pimp themselves crazy every single day. They clean themselves and they press their clothes and they make sure they're presentable. If people are asked if beauty is important and they answer the same thing, then they're lying as well...

Don't even ask me why I'm trying to justify this. I have no idea.

No comments:

Panic

It's creeping in. I am worried. My anxiety is picking up.  Please