Thursday, April 13, 2006

About Everything

Everyone's taking the time off. Like most people my age, I'm not partaking in any of the older traditions this week. I've several reasons, others personal, some just plain and simple. That, as a matter of fact, does not exclude me from thinking of what I am and what has come of my life so far.


The World

Little by little I feel that the world is fast becoming aware of the bigger picture in everything. Little by little I can feel that more and more people are understanding that they are important in the overall success of humanity as a whole, that we are one in spirit, however different we may be. The greatest minds and the greatest hearts are dawning in this era. We don't need geniuses, we don't need philosophers, we don't need iconic leaders...because each of us is becoming aware that we all have geniuses, philosophers and leaders within us. And we are tapping into this fully. People are moving, dreams are getting bigger and the world is becoming smaller.


The Country

With all honesty, I am one of those who turned a blind eye on the country's political status. It pains me to see that my country is being run by the same set of people, who in my opinion, ruined it. I don't believe in the government...That's why I never voted before. Two national elections and I'm still unregistered. They said it's our right to vote and that we should use it. I say it's my right what I do with my vote and I opt to use it in some other way, by NOT voting. I can't wait for the day that I'd finally fall in line to register, when that happens, it only means that I am learning to trust SOME of the people running. For now, I'd continually try to be the best citizen that I can be, as disciplined and hard working as any individual...but I still can't say I'd take active participation in the circus happening inside the so called government. I haven't lost hope, if that's what you're thinking, am merely waiting for the right time to bet my heart and soul to the people who are running the show.


The Filipino Community

I am, at the very least, proud of what the Filipinos have achieved...not as a country per se, but as a group of people. It's not much, but I can feel them reaching out further than ever before. FIlipinos are being known not only as paid workers, but as professionals. Filipinos are learning, more importantly, to respect other Filipinos. I'm starting to see that though the "western culture" is still prevalent and is still being promoted in the country, more and more of us are digging deeper into our own Filipino roots. The youth is realizing the need for them to discover and preserve everything that makes them and this entire country Filipino. My friends for example, the twenty something singles, are no longer dreaming of Bali and HongKong but of Bohol and Davao...A simple thing like that just excites me. Interests in the native arts and restoration/preservation of written and oral traditions are now being held into the limelight. We don't think of going to Hawaii to sample their beaches, we now dream of going to Batanes to learn about the culture of the Ivatans, we don't dream of the skiing in the Alps but we dream of conquering APO. Joey Ayala is becoming mainstream. The Filipinos, in my opinion, are slowly awakening...slowly...but we're getting there.


The Friends

I'm finally able to sift through my friends. I've come to accept the fact that some friends are meant to stay while others are meant to leave. It does not mean, in any way, that they are no longer my friends....Far from that really. It just means that they are my friends and they need more space, away from me perhaps, to grow as individuals and to gain more insights from someone else's perspective other than mine. I still feel lonely sometimes, but I'm slowly understanding that they are there for more reasons other than to party with me. They are taking control of their lives, they are building empires, families and lives...and I'm just too happy that most of them are inviting me to share these wonderful dreams with me.


The Family

This is something of an enigma to me. I've heard talks though of reconciliation. Whether that would happen or not I'm just glas I'm able to be with the rest of the family. The visits we gets, the small gatherings we attend, the phone calls and chats we share...all those are important to me. And what's better is that I'm able to approach them. I'm no longer the shy girl hiding in her room when company arrives. Every minute I spend with, after all, is golden.


Me

I'm under construction still. I dopn't think it'll ever stop. I wish it won't stop, as a matter of fact. I am yet to discover what lays behind this confused soul. I'm sure I'll have a wonderful journey. Along the way, I'd see more treasure than I'd ever care to carry along with me...I'll get there, just like everybody else.


No comments:

Panic

It's creeping in. I am worried. My anxiety is picking up.  Please